Note:

I know you may think me contradictive for posting recipes when I clearly don't follow them. That's true, but I ADAPT them and change the quantities of ingredients to suit my need/taste/feeling. So please feel free to ADAPT the recipes I post... now run free and enjoy the blog.

Friday, 30 August 2013

Chocolate Coffee Cake


Hello!!!
Yes I know it's been a while since I last posted but life gets rather busy... and when it does, sometimes you just need to sit down, make yourself a cup of tea and eat cake.
But what else do cakes come in handy for???
Birthday celebrations!
I made this cake for a friend's birthday and TBH, it turned out pretty flat and 'non-cake-looking' but on the positive side it did taste deliciously of coffee and chocolate. Mmmmm.
It may not be the most attractive cake but it really did taste smashing.


My Cake  VS.












My friends cake. HAHAHA you decide...  no jokes this is too embarrassing :)

 




















Chocolate Coffee Cake

(Adapted from bestrecipes.com: Best Chocolate Cake and Coffee Frosting)

Cooking Notes:

This recipe uses oil but I’m sure it would work fine if you substitute with melted butter.

The coffee taste in the actual cake is not that prominent; the frosting really brings out the coffee flavour.

Notice I did not add in the procedure to sift the flour and baking powder together. You know why… J If you would like to, then by all means go ahead.

Cake

·         Just under 1 cup of caster sugar

·         1 ¾ cups of self-raising flour

·         ¾ cup cocoa powder

·         2 eggs

·         2 tsp baking powder

·         ½ tsp salt

·         1/3 oil (I used corn)

·         1 cup milk

·         2 tsp vanilla extract

·         1 tsp instant coffee mixed with 1 cup boiling water

Frosting

·         ½ tsp instant coffee granules

·         ½ tsp warm water

·         2 tsp milk

·         60g softened butter

·         130g icing sugar

·         ½ tsp vanilla extract

 

1.       Beat all ingredients except the coffee water mixture.

2.       Gradually add coffee mixture while beating until smooth. IT WILL BE RUNNY.

3.       Pour batter into tin and bake for 180°C fan forced for 1 hour or until skewer inserted in middle comes out clean.

Runny Batter

4.       Cool it.

5.       While cooling the cake, start on the frosting.

6.       Dissolve coffee granules in warm water and then add the milk.

7.       Combine butter, icing sugar, coffee mixture and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy.

8.       Spread on cooled cake. (You might have to wait a while after you finish making the icing before spreading on cake as it will probably still be hot.)


Donna Hay style for the win WHOOP!


A little bit thin :/
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment