Note:

I know you may think me contradictive for posting recipes when I clearly don't follow them. That's true, but I ADAPT them and change the quantities of ingredients to suit my need/taste/feeling. So please feel free to ADAPT the recipes I post... now run free and enjoy the blog.

Saturday, 3 August 2013

Butter Cake


What I usually do when a recipe includes flour+baking powder and says: ‘sift them together’… I don’t.  Then my cakes or muffins turn out unevenly risen and liken themselves to a hill.

Soooooo, this time I sifted both together and guess what I got? An evenly risen cake! (That sunk because I took it out of the oven immediately because I was eager!)

 It’s an improvement nevertheless J

So here is the recipe and hopefully you have a better outcome than me!

Butter Cake
(Adapted from taste.com recipe: Butter cake)

Cooking Notes:
Make sure you whip the butter/sugar/vanilla until very airy and pale. This will give the cake some lift and a steamed sponge texture.
Perhaps use unsalted butter for this recipe. I used salted and it tastes salty. Too salty.

Ingredients:

·         250g softened butter (refer to cooking notes.)

·         ¾ caster sugar

·         2 tsp vanilla extract

·         3 eggs

·         2 ½ cups self-raising flour

·         2 pinches of baking powder

·         2/3 cup of milk

Very few ingredients.



Method:

1.       Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Line tin with baking paper.

2.       Sift the flour with the baking powder. Set aside. (DO THIS!!!)

3.       Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla until pale and fluffy
 
Like an off-white colour. Very whipped.
 

4.       Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition

5.       Add half the flour, mix

6.       Add half the milk, mix

7.       Repeat with remaining flour and milk

8.       Pour into prepared tin and bake for 1 hour or until a nice golden brown colour and a skewer comes out clean.
 

9.       Cool in the pan then cool on a wire rack.
 
 
 
 
 
WIRE RACK!
 

10.   Eat plain/dusted with icing sugar/nutella/frosting/whatever toppings you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment