Note:

I know you may think me contradictive for posting recipes when I clearly don't follow them. That's true, but I ADAPT them and change the quantities of ingredients to suit my need/taste/feeling. So please feel free to ADAPT the recipes I post... now run free and enjoy the blog.

Tuesday, 16 July 2013

Croque Madame

This is one of my favourite hot breakfasts to eat and prepare as they are AB-SO-LU-TELY delicious when served hot.
You dig the spoon into it and hear the crunch of the crusts and then you take a spoonful and glorious golden yolk slides down your gullet... yes, to experience it for yourself try it. Here is the recipe from one of my favourite chefs: Rachel Khoo. Woo hoo!




Croque Madame
(Makes 6, adapted from Rachel Khoo's: The Little Paris Kitchen)
Ingredients

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon plain flour
150ml milk
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard (optional)
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
30g Gruyere cheese (I used smoked cheese)
salt and pepper to taste

6 white bread slices, crusts cut off and flattened (don't throw the crusts.)
3 tablespoons melted butter
75g ham, cut into strips
6 small eggs


To prepare the sauce:


Melt butter in a pan, add flour. Beat to form a smooth paste.

Take off heat, cool for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk, until there is no lumps.

Place pan back on medium heat, add mustard and nutmeg, simmer gently for 10 minutes, whisking to prevent burning and clumping.

As it thickens, remove from the heat. Add the cheese, stir till it melts.


To prepare the rest:

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.

 Brush each flattened bread with melted butter. Press in a 6 hole muffin tin (I used ramekins).

Divide ham between muffins followed by the egg. If egg is too much, pour away a little of the egg white.

Put 2 tablespoons of sauce on top. Sprinkle with cheese and pepper. Remember the crusts? Break it up into bits and sprinkle that on top too.

Bake for 15-20 minutes depending on how runny you like your eggs. Serve immediately. Mmmmmmmmm
 


I finished it with a leaf of baby basil on top.

2 comments:

  1. yumyumyum, definitely trying this one, Shanna! What a co inky dink.. I just started a blog too! But it's not a food blog hahaha ( :

    ReplyDelete