Note:

I know you may think me contradictive for posting recipes when I clearly don't follow them. That's true, but I ADAPT them and change the quantities of ingredients to suit my need/taste/feeling. So please feel free to ADAPT the recipes I post... now run free and enjoy the blog.

Monday, 22 July 2013

Orange Cardamom Tea Cakes

So the other day I made orange cupcakes. I was about to spoon the batter into the cases when I saw cardamom in the spice drawer. So I thought: 'Hmmm... I've seen cardamom and orange go together before... lets try it!' I didn't think of grinding the pods so I put a handful of cardamom pod in bowl of boiling water.

A while later, I strained the liquid and poured the water into the batter. I folded it in and spooned it out.

When it was done and cooled, I tried it... unfortunately no cardamom flavour but a beautiful hit of orange.


So with this recipe, the cardamom really shines through; orange aiding with the flavour.

Enjoy, and feedback is much appreciated!


Orange Cardamom Tea Cakes
(I’m using a normal vanilla cupcake recipe and adding a twist)

Cooking Notes:
You can use any vanilla cupcake recipe you wish and add the orange and cardamom measurements.
I used whole green cardamom and removed the seeds from the pod and ground up the seeds to powder. (With a cleaver! But if you have a food processor or mortar and pestle that would be preferred.)
If you like a strong cardamom taste then feel free to add more cardamom; not so keen on the cardamom you can eliminate it and just have orange cupcakes.
Ingredients:
225g butter, softened
160g caster sugar
225g self-raising flour
1tsp baking powder
4 eggs
1tsp vanilla extract
I orange (we’re using zest, juice and flesh.)
8-12 cardamom pods (refer to cooking notes)
 

Method:
1.       Pre-heat oven to 175°C

2.       Place butter, sugar, flour, baking powder, eggs, extract and cardamom in bowl. Set aside.
 
3.       Zest the orange and then cut away the remaining skin and pith. Put the zest in the bowl.

4.       Squeeze the orange juice into the bowl.

5.       Cut the orange into cube size pieces. Set aside.

6.       Mix the butter, sugar, flour etc. mixture at a low-medium speed for 2 minutes until combined.

7.       Fold in the orange pieces and then spoon batter into muffin cases.

8.       Bake for 20 minutes or until a golden yellow bronze colour.

9.       Cool and eat!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment