Note:

I know you may think me contradictive for posting recipes when I clearly don't follow them. That's true, but I ADAPT them and change the quantities of ingredients to suit my need/taste/feeling. So please feel free to ADAPT the recipes I post... now run free and enjoy the blog.

Saturday, 20 July 2013

Banana Cake Times

Well today we had guests come over for dinner so... cake making we go! This is an incredibly reliable recipe and I hope it works for you too :)

Banana Oat Cake

(Adapted from taste.com recipe: Banana cake with cream cheese frosting)

Cooking notes:

The original recipe uses a food processor to whip up the ingredients. I used my trusty stand-up mixer but if you wish to use the processor go ahead.

I didn’t make the cream cheese frosting… if you want to then go ahead (:

I added oats to the batter to make it more “wholemeal-ey” and also sprinkled a bit on top.

I used 3 really black bananas which have been in the freezer for about 3 months. It doesn’t look nice on the outside, but it is actually perfect for banana cake as it is very ripe so it has natural sweetness. (So add less sugar, better for health!)

In italics I have my adapted measurements

Cake

  • 125g butter, at room temperature
  • 315g/ 1 1/2 cups caster sugar (I used ¾ cup.)
  • 2 large bananas (I used 3 very, very ripe ones)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 100ml buttermilk (I used normal milk)
  • 225g/ 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour (I used 25 g wholemeal self-raising flour and the rest white s.r.f.)
  • 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Cream cheese frosting  (I have made the frosting before and it could actually be halved as it makes a lot. It doesn’t seem like much at first, but trust me… it’s A LOT.)

  • 125g cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 50g unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 230g (1 1/2 cups) icing sugar mixture
  • 1 1/2 tsp milk

Preheat oven to 180°C. Line the base of the pan with baking paper.
Cheat's way
 
 
Cream butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add vanilla extract and egg and mix until combined. Add milk and mashed banana mix until combined.  

Add the flour and bicarbonate of soda, and whip up until just combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Shake the pan to settle the mixture. Bake in oven for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
 
Set aside in the pan for 10 minutes to cool slightly, before transferring the cake to a wire rack to cool completely. (Or just leave it in the pan until needed.)
 
I left it in the oven for a little too long hence the colour.

 
 
To make the frosting, use an electric beater to beat the cream cheese and butter in a bowl until well combined. Add the icing sugar and beat until well combined. Add the buttermilk and beat until the mixture is pale and creamy.
 
Loovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment